Back-up Important Data:
If your business has any critical information or systems physically located at your office, make sure all your important data or any other information you want backed-up, is stored in an off-site location; such as the cloud.
Digital Boardwalk customers who subscribe to a managed backup solution can rest assured their backups are running and tested by a dedicated engineer!
Take some time to make sure all physical hardware (i.e. computers, monitors, printers, etc.) have been properly powered down. If it is not plugged into a power surge protector, be sure to unplug it from the outlet as electricity can come and go during a storm, and fluctuations can cause serious damage to the hardware.
For major systems such as Servers and firewalls, contact your service provider to have them safely shut down this equipment as there are specific procedures required to make sure you don’t experience corruption or data loss.
- If the area you’re located in is prone to flooding, try to move all the hardware to the top of desk, table or other high ground and away from windows.
- Note: If you’re unable to physically move the hardware, try using a plastic bag to cover it in order to protect it from possible water damage
Returning After the Storm:
- Be prepared to expect internet and phone service outages throughout the area.
- Remove any plastic covering your hardware
- Plug in any hardware and power on everything starting with peripheral devices (i.e. printers, external drives, etc.)
- Contact your service provider to assist with getting Servers and/or Firewalls back up and running
Natural disasters such as hurricanes can cause catastrophic data loss and downtime which reduces your business’s efficiency. It’s crucial to take these precautionary steps in order to prevent any stoppage of business and/or loss of data.
If you have any questions regarding how Digital Boardwalk can help your business in preparing for natural disasters, please feel free to give us a call at (850) 637-8000 to speak to one of our dedicated sales staff. We’re happy to help and available 24/7 for technical emergencies.